Many people have trouble determining whether they need a commercial auto insurance policy or have trouble understanding what function it serves. Commercial auto insurance provides coverage if you’re using your car for business purposes. Some vehicle types and business vehicle uses may cause someone to not be able to use his or her personal policy in the event of an accident, and it can be confusing to determine what your situation requires. For a friendly chat with a knowledgeable representative who will be able to clearly explain the type of policy you need, contact Benefit Insurance Services, which serves the Myrtle Beach, SC area.
Do I Really Need Commercial Auto Insurance?
Generally speaking, if your car is used for tasks that are related to your occupation, business, or profession, you need a commercial auto insurance policy. However, it’s important to notice that commuting to work doesn’t count as a requirement for a commercial policy. Other reasons that you might need a commercial policy include:
- You’re using your car for transporting people or goods and charging a fee. For example, Uber or Lyft drivers fall into this category.
- You’re using your car to conduct a service. For example, if you’re a mobile notary, your personal policy will likely not cover you if you’re traveling for work.
- If the nature of your work requires you to have higher than normal limits, you may need a commercial policy.
- If your business requires you to tow a trailer, or you’re hauling a hefty amount of equipment or tools.
- If your employees are using the vehicle, or if the vehicle is owned by a partnership or corporation, you may need a commercial auto policy.
Everyone’s situation is different, and it’s not a good idea to hope that your personal auto insurance policy will cover you in the event of an accident. For peace of mind, contact Benefit Insurance Services, which serves Myrtle Beach, SC, to find out if commercial auto insurance is for you.